Our product is designed with a heavy duty Military Grade directional snap to ensure a permanent fixture on the belt until you want to unsnap the holster. Directional snaps can only be snapped one way or they could break. The snap must be rocked on at an angle from top to bottom or bottom to top.
Horsehide verses cowhide is a commonly asked question by our customers. Horsehide and cowhide are both soft, textured materials found in natural colors. Both hides are durable, so the intended use must be considered when choosing between cowhide and horsehide. On one hand, horsehide has a firm grain that keeps the material durable and makes it an excellent repellent for moisture due to its density. Therefore, horsehide can hold up in humid areas and withstand the presence of liquids like body oils and sweat, whereas cowhide cannot.
Take a ruler and measure from the buckle end where the leather folds over the buckle to the hole that you currently wear it in to the nearest inch. On your new belt there will be 6 holes for adjustment–two holes (2 inches), then the center hole, and 3 holes forward (3 inches). If you are going to wear IWB holster, measure the belt with the holster and the gun for accurate belt measurement.
The combat cut will cover the sharp edges of your weapon and no part of the weapon will rub against the body. If you are planning on wearing the holster IWB for a short period of time, a combat cut comes in handy because you access the weapon quicker and it’s easier to grab the holster.
Above is a list of all HSK speed loaders along with model number, caliber, and model of gun they fit.
Retail belts are generally made from laminated “leather” with a cardboard insert. They are typically thin, low in quality, and tear easily. They are also equipped with cheap belt buckles. MTR Custom Leather Gun Belts are made from 2 pieces of premium bull hide. We also alternate the grains to ensure that our belts will not stretch or tear. They are typically 1/4″ thick and are finished off with solid brass or nickel plated solid brass buckles. Our belts will last 100 times longer than any retail belt.
Threat can arise in an instant. You can react just as fast. The split-second you draw, Viridian’s Enhanced Combat Readiness (ECR) system ignites the brilliant green laser and/or taclight — targeting, blinding, intimidating in one reflex-fast move. Suddenly you’ve got the advantage.
With Enhanced Combat Readiness (ECR) now part of every universal Viridian laser, you can achieve insensitively fast response to crisis. Just pre-set the Viridian laser/taclight mode, slide your gun into your MTR Custom Leather holster, and the ECR system is armed and ready. The instant gun leaves holster, the laser fires a brilliant beam that cuts through daylight or darkness as fast as you can draw.
With virtually unlimited laser and/or taclight modes and the breakthrough ECR system, Viridian has elevated combat readiness to a whole new level. Draw-and-activate is obsolete. Partner up with ECR and get the drop on evil.
The Viridian C Series, X Series (excluding RS), and REACTOR Series are equipped with ECR technology and activate when drawn from our MTR Custom Leather holsters.
Please use the following guidelines to determine if your current Viridian laser sight is equipped with ECR technology:
- C5 units with serial numbers beginning at or higher than C019860.
- C5L units with serial numbers beginning at or higher than C018000.
- X5L (Gen 2) units with serial numbers beginning at or higher than X002830.
We use bull hide leather and horse hide leather. These hides are made from natural steer hides that are range bred and grown. Thus, there may be natural range markings in the grain of the leather. This is normal for top grain bull hide and horse hide leather. This adds to the beauty and character of your MTR products.
Following the instructions below will add to the service life of your MTR product.
Leather that comes in contact with your skin or cloths will also come in contact with bodily perspiration (oils, sweat and etc.). Think of the leather as your skin being dried while being outside or dirty when in the woods hurting. The leather may become dirty on a regular basis and may need to be cleaned or treated periodically to slow the natural breakdown of the leather fibers.
Steps for Carnauba Wax:
- Make sure your leather is dry (do not dry the leather with any artificial heat)
- Take MTR Custom Leather Carnauba Wax and shake well to avoid bubbles
- Apply the Carnauba wax with a soft cloth
- Allow the leather to dry naturally
- Take Sheep wool and buff the leather to a high gloss
- Application can be repeated
Carnauba Wax Benefits:
- Deep luster and shine
- Proven technology
- Resist finger prints
- Resist scruff marks
- High gloss and shine
Carnauba is a thick base cream.
Steps for Atom Wax:
- Make sure the leather is dry (do not dry the leather with any artificial heat)
- Remove any surface dirt by using a piece of rubber foam (nothing hard, may damage leather fibers)
- Take the MTR Custom Leather Atom Wax and shake well to avoid bubbles
- Apply Atom Wax sparingly can use a dapper or soft cloth
- Work evenly into the leather
- Let dry
- Polish briskly with soft cloth for a natural finish
Atom Wax Benefits:
- Cleans the leather from dirt, debris, bodily fluids, etc.
- Penetrates deep into the leather fibers
- Easy to Buff
- Proven technology
Atom Wax is a watery base liquid.
Do not submerge or saturate your leather product in the waxes. Do not use any other kinds of oils on our leather product. Other oils may soften the leather too much.
MTR Custom Leather holsters/leather products are manufactured from only the premium materials and our technique molding is very accurate to specific firearms. When you receive your leather product from MTR it may appear to fit close-fitting at first, but this by design. MTR engineer our product to fit snug knowing that the leather filaments will relax and give to the proper fit with use.
If the holster/magazine has tension screws: Since the tension components are not pre-set at the factory, you may need to adjust them in order to the holster your firearm or magazine the first time. We recommend that you check your tension screw adjustment before each use. There is no reason to completely remove the tension components. Do not use Loctite or any other form of Loctite on the tension components. Nevertheless, you can apply a single drop of clear nail polish to your tension screw threads, this may reduce loosening.
If the fit is too tight when holstering your firearm/magazine the first time, then don’t force it. If you do force the firearm/magazine into the leather, it may be very difficult to draw/remove. Instead, please follow these 6 simple steps to break in your new leather. Shoe Stretch It Solution can aid in a faster break in.
- Place the UNLOADED firearm or magazine in a plastic freezer bag, or 2-3 layers of clear plastic wrap. Do NOT cover the grip.
- Insert the bagged/wrapped firearm/magazine gradually into the leather, lightly twisting it side to side to minimize tearing of the bag/wrap.
- Once the firearm/magazine is completely seated in the leather, twist it about 1/16” in both directions 7-13 times.
- Allow the bagged/wrapped forearm/magazine to sit in the leather for about 16 minutes.
- Remove the firearm/magazine from the leather and remove the bag/wrap from the firearm/magazine.
- Insert the UNLOADED firearm or magazine into the leather, which should be snug but not loose. If it is still too tight, repeat the above steps until the leather is broken in to your satisfaction.
If your Holster has a thumb break/ retention strap: You may need to stretch the retention strap before you get it to snap. With your fingers only (no tools, water, chemicals, or etc.). You may need to break in the holster first by using the 6 simple steps above. Shoe Stretch It Solution can aid in a faster break in.
- Place your UNLOADED firearm in the holster.
- Hold the firearm grip in your dominant hand and the thumb break strap/retention strap in the opposite hand.
- Prepare the strap for stretching by grasping the snap and pulling the strap firm (remove the slack).
- Twist the strap about 90 degrees back and forth in a clockwise and counterclockwise rotation about 10-15 times while keeping it firm.
- Firmly push the firearm away from you while pulling on the strap and continue rotating the strap.
- Release the tension for a moment and repeat 3-4 times as needed.
- Pull the strap over the back of the firearm without releasing tension.
- While maintaining the strong tension attempt to snap the retention strap closed.
- Repeat step 5 and 6 as needed.
Following and repeating the above instructions is the only way to an ideal break –in and long service life and proper fit that will last many years.
You can purchase our “Fiebings Shoe Stretch it” solution on our leather care tab. The solution is a safe alcohol base that will not harm the leather, weapon or magazine. Apply STRETCH-IT generously to holster area that needs stretching. Allow to penetrate. Insert weapon/magazine unloaded wrapped in plastic bag or plastic wrap. Rotate weapon/magazine side to side to allow stretching of the holster. Leave in holster for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove weapon/magazine from holster and remove the bag/wrap from the weapon/magazine. Insert the unloaded weapon/magazine into the holster, which should be snug but not loose. If it is still too tight, repeat the above steps until the leather is broken in to your satisfaction.
Not harmful to your skin or clothing
Manufactured in the USA!
It is common for the inside of the leather to scratch from a single holstering, that’s known as etching. A smooth leather lined holster will be even more subject to this normal occurrence. After this initial etching, the holster will custom fit your firearm.
When testing out MTR Custom Leather products for proper fitment, never place a loaded firearm in a holster without first testing.
Should any MTR product become worn, loose, broken, defective or ill-fitting, or in your opinion is unsafe, cease use immediately.
By adding a second line of stitching will increase the stiffness of the product. Retention will increase. Better security of the weapon. Sturdiness and durability will with stand longer in the long term use of the leather product.
Internal stiffeners is a great variation to choose when buying a gun belt. Adding a stiffener will increase the belt’s stiffness, durability and rigidness. You will experience less stretching and rolling over of the belt. The adjustment holes will say nice and round longer. Most important, a stiff belt will most definitely increase the draw of the weapon. Belts with stiffeners aid in supporting the weight of the holster, weapon, magazine pouches and anything else that you may carry on your belt. By supporting the weight of the weapon, holster and ammo pouches brings better concealment.
We recommend applying Loctite Thread Locker (blue 242) to the screws of your belt. This will help protect the threads from rust and corrosion while also preventing loosening from shock and vibration. MTR does not do this because there are some customers that like to put their own buckle on our belt.
MTR Custom Leather offers many great variations that can be added to each product. You can design the perfect product to meet your needs. We custom make each holster to fit your gun the way it is.
Yes, a liner can be added to any holster. If the option is not listed, then please call or email us and we will be glad to take your order.
Gift Certificate FAQs
Gift Certificates are purchased just like any other item in our store. You can pay for them using our standard payment method(s). Once purchased, the value of the Gift Certificate will be added to your own personal Gift Certificate Account. If you have funds in your Gift Certificate Account, you will notice that the amount now shows in the Shopping Cart box, and also provides a link to a page where you can send the Gift Certificate to someone via email.
To send a Gift Certificate you need to go to our Send Gift Certificate Page. You can find the link to this page in the Shopping Cart Box in the right hand column of each page. When you send a Gift Certificate, you need to specify the following. The name of the person you are sending the Gift Certificate to, the email address of the person you are sending to, the amount you want to send (note you don’t have to send the full amount that is in your Gift Certificate Account.)A Short message which will appear in the email. Please ensure that you have entered all of the information correctly, although you will be given the opportunity to change this as much as you want before the email is actually sent.
If you have funds in your Gift Certificate Account, you can use those funds to purchase other items in our store. At checkout, an extra box will appear. Enter the amount to apply from the funds in your Gift Certificate Account. Please note, you will still have to select another payment method if there is not enough in your Gift Certificate Account to cover the cost of your purchase. If you have more funds in your Gift Certificate Account than the total cost of your purchase the balance will be left in your Gift Certificate Account for the future.
If you receive a Gift Certificate by email, it will contain details of who sent you the Gift Certificate, and perhaps a short message from that person. The email will also contain the Gift Certificate Redemption Code. We recommend printing this email for future reference. You can now redeem the Gift Certificate in two ways.
1. By clicking on the link contained within the email for this express purpose. This will take you to the store’s Redeem Gift Certificate page. You will then be requested to create an account, before the Gift Certificate is validated and placed in your Gift Certificate Account ready for you to spend.
2. During the checkout process, on the same page that you select a payment method there will be a box to enter a Redemption Code. Enter the Redemption Code here, and click the Redeem button. The code will be validated and the amount added to your Gift Certificate Account. You can then use the amount to purchase any item from our store.